Main



Timeline

Development and testing

Specs and parts

Period photos



Colors and markings

Models



Drawings

Illustrations

Links

Sources





Timeline


In 1936 the civilian licence plate is N-44946 is issued to the "N.V. Van Doorne's Aanhangwagenfabriek", Burghstraat 2, Eindhoven

The Pantrado 2 design is laid out around the TraDo concept, and is offered to be able to add front wheel drive and a track around the rear wheels.

A prototype Pantrado 3 using boiler plates is built in the spring of 1937

The Prototype is shown to the authorities in April 1938. They demanded the placement of the armament asap. The turret must be exchangeable with the Landsverk's turret.

Tests are performed with a dummy turret with the weight added to simulate the gun, Juli till September 1938. This is done by 1st Eskadron Pantserwagens, stationed in Noord-Brabant.

9th of September 1938, the design is accepted, and the order submitted. Several additional conditions added. Several small adjustments, improvements of the differential, the front wheel drive, bulletproof tires, and a 125 HP engine.

In a "Polygoon" (Dutch cinema news reel) film June 26 1939, the prototype is seen together with a DAF amphibian (licence plate N-44945)

On April 25 of 1939 the board of "Staatsbedrijf der Artillerie-Inrichtingen" orders 12 "Type P.T.3" from "van Doorne's Aanhangwagen-fabriek", to equip the 3rd Eskadron, comprised of 4 platoons of 3 cars.

June 26 1939 first test(?) by staff of the cavalry in the Den Haag (The Hague) Isabela kazerne.

During the "Venlo-incident" November 9 and 10 1939, the M39's that are under construction are evacuated to shipyard "De Nieuwe Waterweg" in Rotterdam.

November 21 1939 the first batch of two M-39 is delivered.

March 1940 the first 6 should be ready.

Drs. Bom claims 6 are on strenght on May 10 1940. Other sources claim 7 are at "Depot Eskadron Pantserwagens" in Den Haag, but not complete in equipment. Zuid front Holland 1940 claims: Eight were deliveret to "Depot Cavalerie" at the Frederikkazerne in Den Haag. Only 3 were declared operational May 10.

10th May, 1940, the invasion date, the four vehicles that are complete and parked in the DAF factory Eindhoven. Eight are stationed at Delft, unarmed patrolling the sector between the seat of the government, Den Haag(The Hague), and Rotterdam.

Zuid front Holland 1940 claims: 3 other M39's were made operational over the invasion days. 2 did nit have weapons and were not employed.

May 11 1940, 2 see action, supporting depot companies on the road to Rotterdam, unsuccessfully blocking the German advance.

One platoon guards an ammo convoy to Delft and runs into paratroopers. One of the crew loses the wachtmeester and one M39 has to be abandoned in Delft because of a hit on a front wheel.

One M39 encounters paratroopers on the coastal road to Delft-Overschie, another near the prison in Scheveningen.

May 13 a platoon drives to Amsterdam to get ammo and spare parts from the Hembrug and the ammo depot.

The four at the DAF factory were supposed to join the 4e Compagnie Korps Motordienst, but never made it. Lacking crews and ammunition, they were abandoned en route to Zeeland on 13-14 May, these could be the ones on the picture in Bergen op Zoom. The website Zuid front Holland 1940 mentions: The were transferred on May 10 at Vught to 4-KMD. No traces in the military records, only a hint that they ended up in Roosendaal.

All remaining M39 even, not combat ready, patrol Den Haag

May 14, 1940, M39 III-2203, takes part in the fighting in Overschie, to suppress the last pocket of German paras. Commander wachtmeester Knobbe keeps a diary, documenting 5 exhausting, horrible days.

May 14, 1940, at the capitulation general Winkelman orders the troops to destroy their equipment. Several M39's are driven of the pier of Scheveningen into the sea. Two where torched or blown up on Schevening beach.

German troops fish the sunken M39's from the sea instantly. All remaining M39's are instantly used in the run into Belgium and France. All disables and incomplete are shipped to the DAF factory for repairs and refurbishing.

Mid May of 1940 a unit of 227th infantry division is equiped with 4 M39's, 2 Landsverk's and a Belgian Marmon-Harrington. The German name "Panzerspähwagen DAF 201(h)" (Armoured reconnaissance car DAF 201, h for "Holland")

Tyre change under the trees near Le Havre, summer of 1940

Lineup on the horizon autumn 1940

Relocation to the front in Russia in 1941.

Snow pictures credited to Voybokalo station. November 1941, Northern front.

Pictures of an M39 are credited to not being 227th infantry, but possibly 254th or 291st



Main | | last revised: January 5 2022