Development and testing
Specs and parts
Colors and markings
The one piece armoured box has an armour thickness varying from 6 to 10 mm. Two easily opening doors both sides of the body are the main entrance to the four men, the hatch in the tower for the commander. Hatches in the turret and bottom, sponsons for the mg's in front and rear glacis, and ventilation hatches for the engine make it a chalenging welding job.
The doors have closable vision ports with armoured glass. The crew of 5: front driver in the left front seat, bow gunner in the right front seat, Commander in the right side of the turret, left side the Bofors gunner and in the right side rear seat, in the rear of the fighting compartment, the rear gunner that also drives when driving backwards. He is seated facing the rear. To his left (vehicle right) the V8 engine is installed behind a gas sealing, wall/hatch, openable from the inside. This makes it possible to fix little things without exposure to enemy fire. Periscope blocks are replacable from the inside. A second, smaller fan cools the oil carter. Both drivers control the front wheels. The reverse drive handles are found to be vulnerable. Driving in reverse needs to be trained. The tower has 2 periscopes. The commander's periscope rotates 360 degrees.
The tyres can be fixed with extra claws. The engine's fan is a larger one that is also intended to take away the guns discarge vapours.
The board on the wheels are for little trenches and unditching. They seem to be plain wood, but painted. The May 1940 pictures show them during the Dutch use, and the have a simple screwable clamp on the rear fender.
The airhorn on the left fender in a tube like box on the prototype. All production have a round one with a big knob.