Specs and parts
FuSpr F Radio
Hanomag Sd.Kfz. 251 engine and engine compartment
Maybach is more than a name. He was one of the pioneers of the industry. He worked with and for many of the great names before he founded his own company that won graet fame building light enough engines to fly the great Zeppelin airships. Almost all tanks and many other heavier tractor like the halftrack range was propelled by Maybach engines. His name got revived in the extremely luxourious line of cars that Mercedes-Benz markets sins the late 90-s. The mascot on the right was introduced in 1930 on introduction of the 12 cylinder of the Maybach Zeppelin, a fabulously luxourius car.
In 1938 production starts with the 6 cylinder Maybach NL 38 TUKR. From 1940 on that is the HL 42 TUKRM
HL = Hochleistung (top achievement)
NL = Normalleistung (normal achievement)
TU = Tiefes Unterteil (Low bottom part)
K = Kupplungsgehäuse (Clutch housing)
T = Trockensumpf
M = Schnapper Magnetzünder
38 = 3817 ccm = 3.8 liter
42 = 4199 ccm = 4.2 liter
2 views of the HL 42 TUKRM from the manual.
Factory cut through illustration
Specifications Maybach HL 42 TUKRM
| ||6-cylinder, gasoline, cast iron|
|Displacement:||4199 cc = 4.2 liter|
|Bore/Stroke:||90 x 100|
|Output:||100 Hp at 2800 rpm |
|Valves:||Overhead, 2 per cylinder, hanging|
|Valveshafed:||Single, on top with 8 mounts|
|Cooling:||Water, with pump, dual ventilator and thermostat. 26 liter|
|Carburetor:||1 Solex 40 JFF II carburetor (with 4 floats)|
|Fuel pump:||Bosch EJD 1.8/12|
|Starter engine:||Bosch RKCN 300/12-1300 (300 watt, 12 volt)|
|Battery:||1 or 2 75 Ah batteries. (Radio
and special vehicles receive 2. The gasoline-tank is adjusted for the second)|
|Air filter:||In desert operation the air-filter and airflow are changed|
Peaking through above the left front wheel (some armor missing) a derelict survivor at an exhibition in Bastogne reveals a part of the engine.
Standing on top of the same survivor looking down (and to the back) a part of the "firewall" is visible.
Left the Dutch survivor (now gone) photographed by Werner Stubner in the time that it was in store at the Armamentarium in Delft. Dual fans on the radiator. Right the same place as pictured in the manual
The "firewall" seen from the right front. The chassis was used for instruction on mechanical construction by the Dutch army.
Left the stripped firewal in it's Delft days. Right the left part of the same spot from the manual.
last revised: October 11 2017